Ashburn Hill Plantation, once the premier quail-hunting site of South Georgia is on its way to reclaiming its former status. The property under went massive renovation in 2012 and 2013. With attention to preserving as much of the original structure and ornaments as possible the facilities have been redone with comfort and southern style in mind.
The Plantation is named for William Warren Ashburn who moved from New Jersey to Moultrie Georgia in the late 1800s and founded Ashburn Hill Plantation in 1890. Mr. Ashburn was influential in promoting agriculture, banking and the railroad system in South Georgia. It was Mr. Ashburn’s successor Frank Ramsey Pidcock Senior who extended the influence of the railway system in Moultrie and South Georgia. Mr. Frank Pidcock Senior was married to Willie Warren Ashburn the daughter of William Ashburn. Frank acquired the Georgia Northern Railway and forever changed the character of the Moultrie community.
Frank Ramsey Pidcock III introduced quail hunting at Ashburn Hill in 1967. Popularity of the property was by word of mouth with most guests being repeat customers who booked the next year’s quail hunt before leaving the current year quail hunt. A hunt club was established with gold pins given to those who completed 15 seasons of quail hunting at Ashburn Hill. The property has hosted Presidents and top business executives from across America.
After falling on hard times the property was sold at auction in 2009. Today the property is under the ownership of Bob and Lynn Alligood. Bob is a retired businessman who grew up in Moultrie. As a young man the plantation with its railway ties intrigued him and he is now proud to return to Moultrie as the new owner of Ashburn Hill Plantation. Tim Barber began his association with Ashburn Hill in 1986. He has served in many capacities most recently as property manager. It was Tim who guided the property through difficult times when the previous owners lost interest. Tim and his wife Brenda live on the property and have an ownership interest. They are assisting the Alligoods’ in restoring the former magic to the Ashburn Hill tradition.
The original Moultrie Train Depot was moved to Ashburn Hill in the spring of 1985. Next to the train depot sits a 1901 Pullman car, another piece of railway history brought to the site by Frank R. Pidcock III. The new owners have renovated the depot keeping the original wood walls, flooring and basic structure. It is currently used as an event facility. Mr. Pidcock III added a caboose train car that currently marks the entrance to the property. A small open train, today known as the Skeet “R:” Express”, takes shooters and interested guests to the skeet range on its ¼ mile of track.
The main lodge was renovated keeping its historical character and adding two luxury guest suits.
Bob and Lynn Alligood and Tim and Brenda Barber invite you to join them for the best of South Georgia Quail hunting, or book the facility for a special event such as a wedding, family gathering, a corporate event or private party. Enjoy comfortable upgraded accommodations, great food, horseback riding, quail hunting in a relaxing environment that may remind you of yesteryear.